Top 10 tips for moving house
Make an inventory – Start at the top of the house and work down, decide in each room what is going with you, what’s going to the charity shop, what’s going to be thrown away and what is going to storage. Moving house is the perfect time to have that clear out you have always wanted to do but never got round to!
- Will everything fit? – Now you know what you are keeping and what your are getting rid of, you can decide if you need storage and what size of unit it will need to be.
- Timings – will your next house be ready before you have to move out of your old one? If not you may been to put all of your possessions into storage. If its going to be ready on the same day you may have limited time, so it might be easier to move a lot of stuff into storage before, so on the day you can guarantee you will have time to make the move easy and successful.
- If you have a spare room use it to store the boxes you have packed – moving is stressful enough without having to look at piles of boxes every day for weeks before your move date! This will allow you to start packing early and get organised.
- Label everything clearly – mark what is in each box you may think you will remember but you won’t! Mark if it’s for the new house and which room its going in or if it’s for storage.
- Make an essentials box – on the day of the move, for the things you will need on your first night, tea bags, bottle opener! Keep this box safe in your own car so it doesn’t get swiped up by the removal men!
- Bag up screws and parts of furniture you have taken to pieces – mark on the bags what is in them and attach to the item of furniture they go with. It makes putting everything back together so much easier!
- Don’t make boxes too heavy – you don’t want them to break, pad them out with cushions, towels, curtains etc it will protect the items inside from being broken and mean the boxes are not too heavy to move.
- Take time to clean – leave your old house as you would like to find it, it will make such a difference to the new people coming in to get off to a good start to living in their new home!
- Don’t forgot the garden – bbq’s, garden furniture, pots and plants. If you are moving in the winter it might be good to put your garden furniture into storage, but don’t put it at the back of your unit as you never know when the sun might come out!